Sunday, February 17, 2013

my {heart} day

I bet you are wondering how I spent my valentine's day.
I'm sure of it. *cough, cough*

The day before the big "V" day...I took a quick trip to the dollar store (because I'm not all that big into just throwing my money away to large corporations because they "say" I should...but I am really big into showing my family just how much I love them...and those two things don't have to go hand in hand.  It doesn't have to cost a lot to mean a lot.) I wanted to fill my day to the brim with actions of love and kindness!

So I bought a few small and sweet things for my kiddos (a *small* box of chocolate and a v-day balloon). I bought 3 red candles, some heart-garland to wrap around them, and a few conversation candy hearts in order to create a simple center-piece for our kitchen table. And I bought Mike a bag of chocolates, that I put inside a v-day vase, and had a "balloon-on-a-stick" stuck into the center of the candy vase.  When I got home, I placed Mike's treats on his work desk for him to find in the morning.

I got up early on Valentine's morning.  I set out the kids' treats and my center-piece.  And I got to work on breakfast.  Homemade pancakes with fresh strawberry puree.  I then cut hearts out of my pancakes just like this idea I found on the internet (I google everything....it's yet another sickness I have):

photo credit
Super cute...huh??

I lit the candles and brewed up some coffee as my children slowly woke from their dreams.  My daughter and I delivered Mike his coffee in bed (and she brought him a few candies on her own accord...I just LOVE her empathetic, sincere, thoughtful and loving heart.)

And we all enjoyed a nice breakfast as a family...complete with strawberry milk, of course.

I made sure to cut hearts out of cheese for lunch and made a few chocolate covered strawberries.

Not too much of a fancy day...but enough to make my family feel special.  (And enough hugs, cuddles, kisses, and snuggles all day long...to get the message across loud and clear.)

Later that night, Mike and I went out to dinner and coffee.  And what I love is: our friends.  Friends that are willing to "swap" with us.  Meaning?  They watch our kids so we can sneak out on a date on one night.  And the next night, we watch their sweet little 15-month-old man so they can sneak out for their date.  Perfection.  Not only do our kids have fun with each other AND we all get a night out to reconnect with our significant others...BUT we are helping each other protect our marriages.  Because it's SO IMPORTANT to make date nights a priority...regardless of the occasion! (And it didn't cost either us a red-cent for a baby-sitter!  Score!)

What a great day.  It was not only lots of fun and filled with endless sweetness, it reminded me how beyond blessed I am in this life:
  • with a loving husband
  • wonderful & happy children
  • great friends
  • a good God
What more does one need??  Except maybe a good cup of coffee...

....I'm on that.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

photo credit

2 comments:

  1. I love the pancakes. And We also switch ilke that with a few different people and it's totally the way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2/21/2013

    So sweet, Michelle! What a blessing you are to your husband and kiddos :-)

    ReplyDelete

Love is to the heart what the summer is to the farmer's year - it brings to harvest all the loveliest flowers of the soul. -Unknown