Monday, March 26, 2012

a girl of surpassing beauty: part 3 {how to renew your mind}

What does THIS and THIS have to do with perception?

When we cultivate proper [biblical] thoughts/mindset, it leads to a proper [biblical] perception, and ultimately, proper [biblical] actions.

The following flowchart is a help to those who have brains that are more visually stimulated {like mine}:
I am super duper practical.
I hate to be told what to do and then not told HOW to do it.
Although the above flowchart is true, what in the world does that look like in my everyday {crazy-of-a} life?

What we all need to practice doing is cultivating biblical thoughts BEFORE we think them.
Because what is already inside you is what will naturally flow out! 

huh.  wait.  what?

Did I lose you?

Come on back.  Saddle up and hear me out.

God created us.  He knows us.  And He wants us to succeed!  So He, conveniently(!), speaks about this in His word.  Whodathunkit?
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind...Romans 12:2
...and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds...Ephesians 4:23
This "renewing of your mind" {aka. cultivating proper thoughts} will not passively happen to you.  You must work at it.  Like a gardener and his garden.  One must PLANT seeds in their mind prior to harvesting good fruit.
  1. Read/study God's Word.  Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.  2 Timothy 2:15
  2. Memorize God's Word.  Let the insolent be put to shame, because they have wronged me with falsehood; as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.  Psalm 119:78
  3. Surround yourself with godly women.  Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise...Proverbs 12:30
  4. Pray.  Pray.  Pray.  Talk with the Lord about your spiritual needs.  Tell Him about your weak areas.  Seek wisdom toward growth.  Thank the Lord and be reminded of all you already possess.  Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.  Colossians 4:2
  5. Positive self-talk.  I praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  Psalm 139:14
Here's a more complete flowchart:

Let me remind you of my goal for this beauty blog series:
To learn how to love ourselves the way God loves us.
To see ourselves how God sees us.

If we are taking the time and effort to cultivate our thoughts according to how God thinks...we will, one day, love ourselves again!

But this can be harder than it appears.  When an infection is found inside a wound, it must first be removed before the healing process can begin.  As we actively renew our minds, we must also learn how to beat down and fight back all the years of pain, hurtful comments, and false truths that have been told to us.  And tomorrow, I will do my best expound upon just that.
:::

I tend to be long-winded {for the sake of being thorough}.  So that is the reasoning behind breaking this topic up into "parts".  I have much more to share with you all!  But, as not to keep you in the dark, and enlighten you on the direction/content of future parts, here's a tentative schedule:

Tuesday, 3/27:  part 4 - How to cultivate proper self-talk
Wednesday, 3/28:  part 5 -How to find the beauty inside
Thursday, 3/29:  part 6 - It's not all about you

I do hope that you will come back and learn more of what God is showing me!  
:::

48°
Sunny.  
VERY windy.  
And much too cold outside.  
Where did summer go?  
Oh.  wait.  
It's still spring.
Happy Monday!
p.s. Tonight, I'm heading to my 2nd week of Bible study on the book of Jonah!  Can't wait!

Writing with love to an audience of One,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love is to the heart what the summer is to the farmer's year - it brings to harvest all the loveliest flowers of the soul. -Unknown