Saturday, June 18, 2011

my husband rocks

Mike holding our daughter, Annaleigh, for the first time.

"God has forgiven you.  How am I any better than God?"

Those were the words spoken to me, by my boyfriend, after I shared with him the most heartbreaking news a girl could ever unfold to the man she loved.

Most of my college days were filled with poor personal decisions.  Ironic, huh?  You go to college to get smarter, and I wind up finding the stupidest things to get involved in.  I lived carelessly.  Without regard.  And I thought I had found the key to happiness.  Or so I thought.

It took some time {oh boy, was I stubborn} but eventually the Lord grabbed a hold of my heart and helped my eyes to see the calamity of my ways.  By His grace, my senior year of college, I rededicated my life to Christ. 

About a year and a half later, I met a man {gee, I wonder who this could be...hmmm?} who was not only handsome, funny, charming, sweet, kind, adorable, and smart, but His heart, mind and soul were sold out to God.  Literally, sold out.

Growing up, the only man I ever knew {that could even compare} was my step-father.  Bob (or B-O-B, as I affectionately call him), is a man of God.  His every breath is to serve his Savior.  So, in a way, to see another man love God and want to serve Him wholeheartedly was, to me, a foreign concept.

As I got to know Michael, I soon realized his entire life was the anti-thesis of mine.  I went to prom.  He chose not to go to prom.  I found my way into trouble.  He avoided trouble.  I was outwardly {and forcefully} defiant towards my parents.  He, not so much.  I didn't know what youth group was.  He thrived on his youth group {his youth pastor being one of his greatest influences}.  I went to a state college.  He attended Christian college.  I rebelliously broke all the rules.  He followed them.   

I could go on...but you get my point.

How could he ever learn to love me?, I'd wonder.  I'm so tainted.  

But that would be why my husband rocks:  

He is, simply, a man after God's own heart. 
He is my example, here on earth, of the grace of God. 

I am deeply in love with my husband, Michael.  He is unlike anyone I've ever met.  He challenges me to become a better person in Christ.  He encourages me to live out my faith.  He shows me my worth. In his arms I am cherished.  When he embraces me, I feel loved.  And untainted.  

Happy Father's Day, Sweetheart.
You're perfect.
For me.



This post has been entered into this contest:
Click on the button to enter!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that sounds like I could have written the same thing! I was just like you and my husband very similar to yours! We do serve an awesome God!

    ReplyDelete

Love is to the heart what the summer is to the farmer's year - it brings to harvest all the loveliest flowers of the soul. -Unknown