Monday, June 21, 2010

sweet bliss

I read through one of Dr. Phil's 'weight loss' books about one month before Mike and I tied the knot.

Yes, I got made fun of. And no, I wasn't trying to loose weight for the wedding.

It just seemed like an interesting read at the time. Sort of like the time I read Dobson's book Bringing Up Boys around our first anniversary. I was hard pressed to convince my mother I was simply reading it to understand the 4-year-old boys I taught in my pre-k class and not because I was pregnant. Which I wasn't. Pregnant that is.

I digress.

It was a good read. I thought.

The general idea was that people should desire a 'life-style change', not an attempt to loose weight. If you don't love yourself the way you are now, you won't love yourself when you are thin and gorgeous. Yeah. Right. This coming from an overweight, middle-aged, man.
`
The point I'm trying to make is that Dr. Phil believes that most people are emotional eaters. That is, they eat when they are happy, sad, depressed, or whatever...You have to deal with your emotions and then, viola!

Needless to say, I never jumped on the life-style change train. I just happily watched it toot-toot right by me. I think I even waved.

I guess I can still thank Dr. Phil for the information he passed on through his book. Because as I shove another tasty toasted-coconut marshmallow s'more into my mouth, I can now identify as to why I am shoving.

Bliss. Sweet, wonderful, gooey, emotional bliss.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Love is to the heart what the summer is to the farmer's year - it brings to harvest all the loveliest flowers of the soul. -Unknown